Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rice Pudding with Buttery Apples


I thought I would share a little Breakfast recipe before sharing all the fun and frivolity of the Insubordiknit Spinning Workshop.

I made this bowl of deliciousness last week and can't wait to make it again.

Rice Pudding with Buttery Apples

1 cup Short Grain Rice (par cook to make it quicker)
2 cups Milk (I prefer to use organic and straight from the cow)
1 tblsp Rapadura (dehydrated cane juice....or you could use raw sugar or palm sugar)
2 apples, peeled and diced roughly
splash of water
cinnamon
1 heaped dessertspoon butter (please don't use margarine.....don't even touch it with a stick!!)
drizzle of maple syrup (to taste)
crushed pecans

1. Bring milk to the boil SLOWLY. Add rice and turn down the heat so that the milk is gently bubbling. You will need to stir this quite regularly so it doesn't stick. As the rice starts to swell, the mixture will become quite thick. At this point add your Rapadura (or sugar) and stir in. The rice pudding is ready when its really thick and the rice is soft.
2. While the rice is cooking, peel and chop your apples, put them in a saucepan and add a little splash of water and ground cinnamon to taste. Place a lid on the saucepan and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer the apples until soft.
3. Once the apples are soft, take them off the heat and add the butter and maple syrup. Mash the apple mixture roughly to give a rustic feel.
4. To serve, put a big serving spoon full of rice pudding in the bowl, top with buttery apples and crushed pecans. I also like to add a teeny tiny drizzle of fresh cream, yoghurt or milk over the top.

Serves (at least) 2. If you have any leftovers....just re-heat it for Brekky the next day.

YUMMO! I love this Brekky and it keeps me going until lunch time. That being said.....Ayla loathes it! She just doesn't like fruit. But that's ok...more for me :)

And now.....I need to get out of my Jamies and start my day. It's been a very lazy morning indeed.

1 comment:

S said...

Oh Yum..perhaps tomorrow..i think i might even have pecans!